DG Extras - Setup
The installation is hopefully very straightforward.
1) Download this zip file - Dg_Extras [ProxN45j].zip
This is a proxy server program called the Proxomitron which filters HTML coming in off the Internet. It's a very powerful program which can do many very useful things (which I won't go into at this stage). I'm using it to capture the DG web pages before they reach the browser in order to make changes and add scripting code to make even more changes including displaying the new boards. Although the web proxy server program has all sorts of capabilities, I've disabled everything except the DG stuff. (I've got additional filters for doing various tricks at GoldToken and BrainKing if you're interested, for instance, advert removal.)
The Proxomitron was written by someone who doesn't like cluttering up people's system. It will install anywhere and doesn't change any system files or add anything to the registry. It does, however, need to be added to the Start Menu's Startup section and your browser needs to be told to talk to it. Or you can run the program and do the proxy server settings when you come to DG and then undo them at the end. You'll soon discover whether the effort is worth it. ;-)
2) Although it can go anywhere, it's probably tidiest to add it to the C:\Program Files folder. Make a subfolder there called Proxomitron and unzip the file into it. You should see the Proxomitron.exe there along with default.cfg and various other files and folders. Default.cfg contains the instructions for manipulating the DG web pages.
3) Create a shortcut to Proxomitron.exe and
Internet ExplorerFrom this point on the browser will be asking the Proxomitron to fetch every web page that it wants (that being what a proxy server does) so the Proxomitron must be running when you're browsing the Internet. That's why we ran the program in step 3a) and why the shortcut was added to the Startup menu.
5) That's almost it. But first you'll need to make sure that you use www.dailygammon.com rather than dailygammon.com in order for Next New thread to work. More importantly, you'll need to be using the Classic Board Scheme in order to see the new boards.
Note that the server which has all the boards and scripts is pretty slow. The boards may therefore take a bit of time downloading, but once the images are cached the boards should be drawn fairly quickly.
6) If the browser doesn't work for some reason then you'll need to disable the proxy server connection. Make a note of the bit above leading to where it says Important! ;-)
That's All Folks!
Ready? Then let's go to DailyGammon and see if it works!
Please bear in mind that this is the first release and teething troubles are inevitable. Posting to the forum thread "A Christmas Present for DG" is the way to go... ;-)
Back to Boards or up to the top.